Port Orange Jock

One upstate New York man's successful journey through life doing the only jobs he ever loved. Being a Radio personality,(with one long side trip through the Postal Service).

Name:
Location: Port Orange, Florida, United States

Tuesday, May 24, 2005

We invited the policemen in and they told us some news that they had just received from the New York State Troopers. It seems that my Father had just been killed in a traffic accident in Victor. At least he hadn't suffered. He had died instantly. The ice on the road had caused his car to slide into the back of an 18 wheeler. Amazingly, he had been packing to move to either Florida to be near his Mother or to California to be near Cathy and I. We had to return to New York for the funeral, but we didn't have enough money. Fortunately, the company Cathy worked for agreed to pay for both our tickets, which I felt was very kind since they didn't know me from Adam. After arriving in Rochester, I held up pretty well until I got to the parlor for the viewing. Then it finally hit me like a ton of bricks. My 48 year old Father and mentor was really gone. I would never be able to ask him for his advice again or tell him how much he had always meant to me. He, my Grandmother, and I had carried on correspondence via audio tapes since Cathy and I had moved to California. After his death, those tapes sat up on a shelf in my closet for 20 years before I got up enough nerve to listen to them again. As Cathy and I touched down in the sunshine of LAX, little did we realize that we would be returning to Rochester permanently to live in just over 4 years. End of Chapter 6.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home