Port Orange Jock

One upstate New York man's successful journey through life doing the only jobs he ever loved. Being a Radio personality,(with one long side trip through the Postal Service).

Name:
Location: Port Orange, Florida, United States

Monday, May 16, 2005

Have you ever had to do something and you wanted to get it just right? That's how I felt as I planned to do the Union Christmas Party a few years ago. I got the equipment, had everything set up, and my music was all ready to be played. I knew what I had to say, and felt it would be a night to remember. Little did I know it would turn out to be just the opposite. Some people never even noticed my unprofessionalism. But then they hadn't gone to Broadcasting School and had a diploma on the wall at home to prove it. It wasn't a complete disaster, but it sure came close. Problem was, all of my experience had come in studios in front of a microphone. I was really talking to hundreds of thousands of people, but in my mind there was only one. That's why I was always so relaxed. I might have been able to pull it off if these had been strangers in front of me; but these were my co-workers. This would be the first time I would host a live show. That made me even more nervous. Probably a good belt would have helped me too before the show. That really would have been relaxing. The thing that hurt the most came at the next Union Meeting. The woman who ran the Recreation Committee said that next year they wanted a Professional Disc-Jockey. That was like sticking a Bowie Knife through my heart. I was punishing myself enough. I didn't need any help from other people. I would never have considered telling her she was an unprofessional clerk, even if she was. But I guess that's just me. Anyway, I learned a lot from that experience. I would love the chance to vindicate myself someday at another Christmas Party, but I'm not sure the powers that be will ever give me the chance to redeem myself. I can only hope for the best. As they say, time heals all wounds. End of Chapter 14.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home